Friday, August 10, 2007

Marathon Dugong Gaining Ground

July 22nd 2007 : the first time I've ever voluntarily attended a running event -> in fact paid $20 to subject myself to 10km of torturous running on a beautiful Sunday morning. Thats the MIZUNO Wave Run. It was my virgin attempt at a long distance running event and I'd say I came out none the worse.

It wasnt' smooth sailing the entire 1+ hour, especially around the 7km mark when I was ovetaken by a huge lady dressed in a skin tight sweatsuit. I didn't let her get too far ahead before my pride took over and I almost blew my lungs out in the event. The cool weather from the early morning rain helped a hell lot....and to think that an hour before the run, Daniel the "lung-less man" who is my good-running buddy, was contemplating not turning up. Only the lure of the goodie bag convinced him to make the trip down to Bedok Reservoir with me....nah...I'm kidding, he's the well-seasoned runner whereas I'm only the wannabe Kenyan runner.

Now on hindsight, it was rather pleasant and strangely addictive...i may be weird but at age 31, I've somehow found a liking for running. Oh well, I've set a target to do the 21km run in December this year....a couple more 10-12km runs between now and then, some dark tanning lotion should be enough to make me "that Kenyan runner" who will finish on the podium in December!

Oh, I rewarded myself with a brand new pair of Asics trainers - I'm telling you, these are the best built running shoes on this planet...ok i'm a little bias but you've really gotta try out one of these babies.


No comments: