Monday, June 01, 2009

My Kidz and Sports!



I signed Terelle up for this year's Cold Storage Kidz Run which was held last weekend at the Padang.

I had wanted to sign her up last year but had missed the deadline, but on hindsight, maybe she would have been a little too young last year to enjoy the run.

It's was very simple run..basically a 700m route around the Padang...this was the youngest age grouping - 2 to 4 years old kids.

It was a great morning spent out in the sun...and all of us had a fantastic time...the turnout was great...and it was really nice to see so many families out there who place a lot of importance in sports and a healthy lifestyle.

Terelle was AWESOME...Daddy and Mummy are both really proud of you....I'm sure we'll all have double the blast next year when Thane is able to come join us.

I wonder whose gonna be doing all the picture and video taking next year...I'll have to be accompanying either Terelle or Thane on the run...not that I didn't run this year...try having a NIKON SLR in one hand and a video camera in the other and running 700m backwards at a frantic pace, while trying to avoid bumping into little 4year old kids and at the same time, busy clicking away and trying to keep the video camera still....

For both Li-Anne and I, as we were growing up as kids and teenagers, sports and the great outdoors dominated a big portion of our daily activities.

People who know me well know that I'm a sports-junkie...well obviously if you've been reading my blog frequently enuff, you'd have arrived at that conclusion as well.

I hope both my kids will come to love sports just like Daddy and Mummy...I guess ideally, everyone wants to be really good at something but it doesn't really matter because the underlying purpose is really to have fun, compete (sometimes) and stay healthy.

Personally, I believe that sports do help develop character in a person...and a fair amount of competition really does go a long way in teaching us about determination, teamwork, hard-work and the important art of failing and never giving up.

These are all important lessons which we may never learn in a classroom or infront of a television, computer or Playstation.

No comments: